Old February 16th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Instrument Rating tests

On Feb 16, 12:58 pm, "kevmor" wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the FOI test doesn't expire, is that
true? I passed the FOI already, if I pass just the FOI and IGI, you
can get the IGI rating from the FSDO? Is the IGI test is from the
same question bank as the IRA? Is the IGI test required to be a CFII
flight instructor? Would I have any benefit of taking the IGI test if
I most likely won't be taking the CFI practical test in two years?

I"m pretty sure the FOI expires but you can work around that, just get
your IGI (or AGI, etc).
Once you have both your FOI and your IGI in hand, just walk into the
FSDO with a completed 8710 and they will hand you an IGI ticket, no
questions asked.
The IGI test is from the same bank as the FOI (although there may be a
couple extra questions in the bank, but I think that's just the AGI).
The benefits of the IGI are 1) you don't have to show your FOI test to
your PI 2) Looks good on the resume and 3) It allows you to teach
ground school where not all pilots are fixed wing. It is not required
just to get your CFII.
Taking the CFI practical will not affect the IGI or FOI tests but
perhaps you meant CFII?
Since the IGI and AGI are good for life there isn't much reason not to
get them other than the $80 testing fee.
-Robert