Old March 25th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herb

Default Solar charger damages batteies - what's good one?

On Mar 25, 1:57 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I've just discovered the Morningstar Sunsaver 6 charge controller I've
been using with my 20 watt panel is a two stage controller, and does not
have a "float" stage. This appears to have damaged my batteries more in
one year than several batteries I've used for 3 years or more, but were
charged with a good 3 stage AC charger.

Are there recommendations for a more suitable charge controller? When
charging, the controller is placed in the trailer, or in the gear well
if the glider is tied out, so the battery and controller temperatures
are the same.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Eric,
I just bought this item on ebay for a 6 W solar panel that I will use
to tie together a trailer fan and a 5AH NiMH battery. It seems to
work great, keeping the battery charged but allowing the fan to run
day and night.

I tried to copy you the link from ebay but it wouldn't work. Here is
the search term:
Solar Panel Charge Regulator Controller 12V 5A 60W NEW

Herb, J7