Old February 12th 12, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

In article 26927612.551.1329006666807.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@pbbmq9 writes:
Massive trolling aside on this thread.... Hank, let them use the AH. Darwin=
ism will kick in. There is a very good chance (as Richard and others mentio=
ned earlier) that inexperienced and/or untrained IFR pilots going into thes=
e conditions will probably exit the clouds in a wingless glider. Lawn dart =
material. Problem solved. We won't have to read their comments any more. ;-=
)

If they are IFR pilots, they have had training, and some level of experience,
rather far more than a newly minted glider pilot without other ratings.

I seem to recall folks telling how strong gliders actually were.

Now this *is* part of a pretty good answer to the claims that new pilots
should learn to fly gliders before power. Clearly, it is not so, as the casual
attitude of the gliding community towards busting clearance minimums from
clouds, not knowing how to set their altimeters legally, etc., is a demonstration
that pilots should start with power with a good instructor, so by the "principle
of primacy" they would learn the proper habits first, and retain them.

Alan