Old February 24th 12, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default US Rules Committee Policy on Permitting S/W for Tablets, PNAs,Smartphones etc.

On Feb 24, 1:55*pm, wrote:
3. Anyone wanting to cheat downloads source code and compiles in AH, keeping the compliance splash screen. Also not rocket science.

4b. Inflight data, subject to cell phone reception, is extremely cheap now. *You pay more for a short voice phone call than the data would cost for inflight forecast/nowcast updates. We live in an information age, why not allow gliding to move with the times?

I’m personally not too worried about the dedicated cheater. I am
reminded of a story about the WGC years ago when data-back cameras
were used to imprint the time on the film. One enterprising competitor
figured out how to diddle his data-back in flight to change the time.
His meteoric rise from fair-to-middlin’ to top-of-the-pack did not go
unnoticed. Suspecting cheating, the contest officials selected a
turnpoint that was a traffic circle and dispatched two cars with
instruction to make like a clock by changing where they parked. Don’t
know if the pilot was publicly confronted but he withdrew.

As a scorer, it is no big deal (and I often do) to look at all the
baro traces together and notice that someone has been consistently
outclimbing everyone else by 20% in the same locations. Would make for
an interesting daily pilot meeting to invite the pilot to come forward
and explain the secrets of the exceptional thermaling technique...

QT