Old June 15th 14, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Fatal crash Arizona

At 21:18 15 June 2014, Bill D wrote:

I cannot argue against the above. From what I have read in this thread

have gained the impression that in the event of a launch failure at

200ft
or above the recommended procedure is to turn back to the runway. This

is completely different from what I have taught for 45 years. In the
event of
any launch failure the question that should be asked is "Can I land

ahead"
If the answer is "yes" then land ahead, height does not come into it at
all. If, and only if the answer is "No" or "Not sure" should another

action be considered and executed.=20

In any event I would never simulate a launch failure at 200 ft if there

was
not room to land ahead. I would and do simulate launch failures at

300ft

and above if there is no room to land ahead and allow students to

practice
this, turning back as necessary. The reason is simple, while a pilot

may
be
faced with having to turn back at 200 ft the risks in doing so are not
justified in training, in the same way that we do not practice very low
winch launch failures, just after lift off, or practice ground loops to

avoid
obstacles both of which are covered by briefings. We do set up the

ultra
low level launch failure situation from a normal approach but we never
simulate it off the launch because of the dangers involved.=20
There will always be circumstances where the "normal" procedure is not
possible but we do stress that the important part of the outcome is

that
the pilot has the best chance of survival, an undamaged glider is not a
priority in these circumstances.

What you were taught relates to winch launch only. Different rules apply
t=
o aero tow. With aero tow at 200' AGL on departure it is almost never
poss=
ible to land ahead on the runway. Either turn or land in whatever

terrain
=
is available off the end of the runway. In many aero tow only airfields,
t=
hat terrain is not suitable for a safe landing.

No, what I was taught and what I teach applies to ALL launch failures,
winch, auto tow, and aerotow as detailed above. The first action is to
select the appropriate attitude, at least approach attitude and make sure
that you have a minimum of approach speed. Then ask the question, "Can I
land ahead" If and ONLY if the answer is NO or NOT SURE should any other
action be considered.