Old February 4th 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Flying in US with BGA Glider Pilot Licence

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 7:30:05 AM UTC-8, Ian Webb wrote:
Hi All,
Planning on going to the US for a holiday later this year. I plan on
having a couple of glider flights and was wondering if anyone had
actually managed to go through the paperwork - FAA/CAA/BGA- to be
able to fly solo with the BGA Licence. Flying solo is not a necessity, but

would be nice to have the paperwork in order should the chance arise.
Any help appreciated.

It's about 25 years since I did it, at Turf Soaring north of Phoenix in 1994.

I did a two-pronged approach: I visited an FAA office and got a reciprocal US license on the basis on my NZ logbook and QGP (Qualified Glider Pilot) rating issued by the NZGA.

While waiting for that the place I was visiting soloed me as a student after one flight and immediately allowed me to fly solo cross-country "under supervision" -- which as elsewhere meant discussing my plans with a local instructor before takeoff, taking into consideration the weather on the day etc.

One I got a temporary reciprocal US PPL car I was taking local friends for passenger flights.

Unfortunately I never received the permanent US license which they supposedly mailed to NZ, and I was unable to get a replacement because I needed to tell them the number of my lost license and I'd never received it so didn't know the number! I gave up on that around 1998.

I'll be moving to live in the US soon and will hopefully be able to sort it out by actually visiting an office. Or just start again.