Old February 5th 19, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Flying in US with BGA Glider Pilot Licence

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 7:06:07 PM UTC-8, Garrett McEwen wrote:
Bruce, just FYI you are listed in the FAA database and they don't have an address for you on file. Should be "easy" to get your replacement card issued when you get here.

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/Main.aspx

Oh, cool! I don't know if that search page existed last time I thought about this.

--------
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT(FOREIGN BASED)
Date of Issue: 3/7/1994

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT (Foreign Based)
GLIDER

Limits:
ISSUED ON BASIS OF AND VALID ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY NEW ZEALAND PILOT LICENSE NO C-2534.
--------

Yup, looks correct, including the NZGA C-certificate serial number (grandfathered to QGP these days). As I said: 1994.

Thanks for finding that!

I may well do a PPL ASEL once I'm living there. Not only are hourly hire rates much cheaper in the US -- I see $120 to $130 an hour for a 172 in the US vs about US$175 in NZ -- but it's just an add-on rating, not a whole new license like in NZ. Last I checked, the NZ authorities give you a maximum credit of 10 hours off the PPL for gliding experience.