Old September 20th 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Kawa rough landing?

Continuing the thread drift:Â* One day, many years ago, my partner in an
LS-6a asked me if I'd ever stalled it in landing configuration. He said
it would depart in a lively manner.Â* So, one day at the end of a flight,
and with altitude to spare, I practiced traffic pattern stalls in the
landing configuration.Â* ...And it was lively!Â* After that, I paid a lot
more attention to AoA and yaw string in the pattern.

On 9/20/2019 9:09 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 2:18:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 4:31:25 AM UTC+1, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 6:25:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
To paraphrase advice from Wolfgang Langewiesche in Stick and Rudder: if *anything* surprising ever happens in a turn immediately unload (i.e aerodynamically) the wing.

IMO it should be ingrained in every pilot's mind that the instant he is surprised during a turn the he should move the stick forward - only after that should he analyse the situation.
I try to teach myself to respond to a wing drop with stick forward and slightly into the wing drop (to reduce the AOA) and opposite (usually top) rudder. It's a good reflex to build.

Andy Blackburn
9B

I completely agree with that Andy. And you don't always have to be flying to do that, the reflex can be reinforced sitting at home repeatedly rehearsing it in your mind.

You can also fly Condor which is a GREAT tool, but nothing beats spins in the real aircraft. For the first ten years of my soaring career I made spin training an annual occurrence, in part because the instructor is the best pilot I have ever flown with. I stopped a nimbus 4 that departed within ¼ turn above a ridge, because of that training. Twenty-five years later I still make an excuse to fly with this semi-retired instructor on occasion, more aerobatics. And I still learn something new each time we fly. Slow flight is also a great was to get to know an aircraft.

--
Dan, 5J