Old October 17th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Default Sizing the CB needs... Homebuilt wiring too

Breaker vs wire size 43.13 All true.

But the mfgr will recommend a breaker size. To speed
approval, you should follow their recommendations.

I'd guess enc + tpx would work on a 2A breaker; not over 3.

Bill Hale

Dave S wrote:
Ray Andraka wrote:

I believe the breakers are supposed to be sized to the wire, not to the
radio. My transponder (was an AT150 with a trans-cal encoder, now an
AT165) has a 5A circuit breaker on it.

Ray.. as many others have told me.. you are right.. you size the breaker
to the wire.. not the device..

But you also size the wire being used.. to the current carried over the
distance carried (as the nice lil FAA book shows)...

So one sizes the wires to the device,, then the breakers to the wires..

In my instance it makes a difference because I have a LOT of 5 amp
breakers. For the wire runs involved, a 1, 5 or even 10 amp breaker will
protect my wires adequately. But I also dont want to pop a breaker in
normal operation.. "while protecting my wiring run"

By they way.. thanks for the feedback on the 5A breaker.

Dave