Old June 23rd 05, 05:18 PM
Don Johnstone

The answer is simple: Stall with a wing drop the first
action is to reduce the AoA, move the stick forward
to unstall the wing.
The action for a spin is: opposite rudder (to stop
the yaw/rotation) and then move the stick progressively
forward to unstall the wing. The recovery from there
is the same.

The important point is that with the wing down stall
the stick forward comes first and rudder may be used
to conteract any yaw present. With the spin the rudder
MUST come first.

In flapped gliders the first action should be flaps
to neutral, well with my flapped glider it should be.

At 16:18 23 June 2005, T O D D P A T T I S T wrote:
Bill Gribble
wrote:

'The offical recovery from a stall with wing drop
is different from
the official recovery from a spin. At what point do
you, personally,
transition from one to the other?'

I'm curious. Although in practical terms I'm quite
confident (through
practice) that I can tell one from the other and react
and recover
accordingly, but how would you phrase the answer to
that?

I'd phrase my answer in terms of pitch down and rotation
angles.

T o d d P a t t i s t - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)