Old October 10th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Screen Luminance

On Oct 10, 1:08*pm, wrote:
Anybody could tell me how the "nits" related to the standard measure
of Luminance "cd/m2" *(candela per square meter) ?
I have seen in this forum, that for example the brightness of the
Clearnav and Ultimate is about 1000-1500 nits as somebody said, but
how much is in cd/m2 ?
A TFT screen with 300 candela per square meter is readable in direct
sunlight ?
Maybe stupid questions ?

Google "nit candela", click on the top link. Pretty easy.

A nit is a candela per square meter.

What is readable in direct sunlight is not just captured by the nit
rating. A lot depends on contrast, type of display, surface
reflections, color properties of the display, and especially *your*
eyesight. So if screen visibility is a big issue to try to find a way
to look at the displays.

Darryl