Old April 5th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Carlo, I am truly sorry for what you folks are going thru over there. It is heartbreaking on many levels.

With that being said, where I and other guys fly here at various places, we are not experiencing this to the degree you are. We are definitely following all the posted guidelines. As such, even though you guys are having it bad, do you expect us to stop our lives, sit at home, and just lament over the conditions in other areas?

I could bring up many facts regarding Italy that are your cultures own doing which has exasterbated your situation. You have a majorly aged population, one of the highest rates of smoking and lung disease in all of EU along with fairly inefficient and antiquated socialized medicine. I think an honest analysis would acknowledge those factors as significant in your situation..

One of your countrymen asked what would happen if I got in a wreck over here. Well, I would take my chances, I face the same issue just driving to the store to refill my dwindling supply of toilet paper. Maybe I should just live a chicken little life and plan on using pages of the sears robuck catalog for ass wipe.

My point in the post was not to rub anyones nose in it who are living in areas where soaring is definitely not possible, but to encourage guys in other areas that there are safe ways to continue to enjoy what we all love to do, safely and of no risk to anyone. In our situation, we all drove direct to the airport, handled our own ships, flew and went home. The only exception being the clubs 1-26 which was flown by two separate guys who wiped down thoroughly between flights.

If folks think they have a need to stay housebound for the next two weeks, thats their and their local governments decision. I dare say there is no one on here who is not going to go out for groceries sometime in the next two weeks. Until you truly stay home that long, please don’t be critical of our club and others for our limited activities. Your “grocery” trip is more of a risk to yourself and the public than our little solo flying outing.
Dan