Old April 10th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bod43

Default Pilot error, fog

On 10 Apr, 19:19, Jim Logajan wrote:
Todd wrote:
WARSAW (AFP) - A plane with Polish President Lech Kaczynski on board
crashed Saturday on landing at Smolensk in western Russia, foreign
ministry spokesman Piotr Pszkowski said.

According to reports the pilot disregarded controller suggestions to land
at another airfield.

I understand it was a military airfield and that the only
approach aid was radar. I forget the term - Precision
Approach Radar (PAR)? This is normal in some militaries
and works very well. The operator has two screens one for
azimuth and the other for slope. He "talks" the pilot
along the glideslope to minimums. I have no idea what
typical minimums might be.

The technology very likely pre-dates ILS and one
advantage still relevant today is that to set it up on
a new airfield all you need is a truck containing the radar
and a seat for the operator. Could probably set it up an a
very few hours. ILS needs HUGE antennae and is probably
quite an effort to calibrate too. RAF for sure used in in the
1970's. I was in the operators station of one but did not see
a landing.

--

Please sign the libel reform petition - no matter
where you are in the world. Get others to sign too.

More information:-
http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/...site/about/476
http://www.libelreform.org/news/449-...tment-to-libel
http://www.libelreform.org/who-is-silenced
http://www.libelreform.org/our-repor...ings-of-report

If your writing can be read in England or Wales you
can be sued here. If you get sued, *you* have
to defend yourself. You are assumed
to be defamatory unless you can prove otherwise.
Legal costs can be £Ms. Of course if you are in
New York state you are explicitly protected by the
"The Libel Terrorism Protection Act". Some other US
states have similar protection.