Old June 4th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after 1807, but
ownership was still legal. The South's economy was based on
hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white people
fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of Southerners
fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both were
honorable.

So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to preserve the ability
to own people as property?

But slavery was still wrong and it ceased to be
the same after 1865. But there was still economic "slavery"
for many people working for low wages in company towns,
buying food and clothes at the company store on credit.

There is no similarity between the slavery of blacks and the "economic
slavery" that you describe. Those working for low wages in company towns
are not deemed the property of the company, with no individual rights.
They could not be hunted and killed for leaving town for better
circumstances.

Laws change, society changes, hopefully for the better. We
should remember the past, so we don't continue to make the
same mistakes, but we must get over the anger and personal
feelings about what happened 50, 100, 150, 500, 2000 years
ago.

The problem is that many of those mistakes -- particularly the mindset of
priviledge -- are still being made today, and that is what angers people
in the present.

Neil