Old July 22nd 18, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus 3F - Fatal

Listening to ourselves and knowing our limitations ought to be a topic covered more often in Soaring magazine. Age will no doubt be a factor in a growing percentage of accidents as the glider pilot population continues to age.. Likewise, hydration and heat stroke should be topics of concern for everyone flying mid-summer.

R6N flew 4 days straight in 90+ degree weather. We took the 5th day off partly for SAFETY. In hindsight, I have no regrets despite taking off what clearly turned out to be the best soaring day of the contest (the sky looked like Uvalde), which says a lot when you're flying out of Adrian, Michigan.

Fwiw, Sandhill Soaring Club lost a club member just 2 weeks prior to the start of R6N. The deceased member's wife is certain her husband succumbed to heat and died of heart complications. Luckily, he wasn't operating an aircraft when it happened.

In any case, ALL pilots (not just aging pilots), need to consider their health history, known physiological limitations, their present physical and mental health, stress levels, medications, and lastly the current weather conditions at the airport.

The following article speaks volumes on the issue and identifies factors that increase risk of heat stroke and/or heart failure. See: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...n-201107223180

Safe soaring!

Chris Schrader (CN)

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:15:06 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:

We are all getting older. There have been a number of physiological
incapacitation accidents in recent years in our community. Let's
wait for the NTSB to make their findings.

In the mean time, condolences to his family and friends.

RO