Old November 20th 12, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Importing a used glider from Europe?

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:49:54 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
All,

I've been looking at the adds at Wings and Wheels for the last year. I've often looked at ads here in Europe and thought, "Why can't I find this XYZ be in the US?" The sudden "ah ha!" moment came yesterday as I was looking at ads on Tim's website and saw a glider with German registration.

I've looked at the FAA's website. From a registration perspective it doesn't look awful, but what are the issues/implications associated with bringing a glider from Europe to the US? I realize I have to find a way to ship it. Instruments need to be converted to knots, feet, etc.

The basic target would be an older club class glider (LS1, DG100, Cirrus, etc.) in the low to mid teens range. That seems do able in Germany. Then add shipping. Etc.

It's hard to tell without taking some notes and doing some math, but it looks like comparable gliders are cheaper in Europe than in the US. Is that a supply and demand thing - lots more gliders here than in the US? If prices are higher in the US for a comparable aircraft, maybe I could fly one for a few years and break even?

I know Winter and other companies make instruments for the metric and US markets. Is it easy to get the faces changed? Worth doing some sort of maintenance at the same time?

Is it worth the effort?

Lots of questions, I know. If you have experience or advice on this topic, please share.

Thanks.

Terry

I've known it done several times. There's a fair amount of red tape involved
in cancelling the old registration and creating the new one, but it's doable.
Shipping is a few grand. The airspeed and altimeter have to be replaced since
the gearing is different (hands travel a different amount). I think a fair part
of the price difference these days is that the Eurozone isn't doing as well
as the US economically so the demand is suppressed over there.

Another approach to looking for a plane is to send a mass mailing to current
owners of models you're looking for. My plane, for example, sat in a hangar
for 15 years without flying. I'm positive no ad was carried all that time.
You can also contact people like M&H that do sailplane repairs and restorations -- they often know of planes that might be on the market but haven't listed yet.
I got my plane through a similar mechanism.

Matt
ASW-19