Old February 18th 13, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Power Flarm Antena Mounting

I'll be interested to see how the nose mounted antennas work out as I have a pure glassfibre ASW too. Some pilots have reported good results with antennas mounted there so I guess as long as the antennas aren't too close to the rudder pedals it would be a viable option.

One thing I find interesting is that the brick manual includes the following as ideal FLARM antenna locations:

" - On the coaming of the instrument panel, in front of the compass (4 inch, 10cm. minimal distance to compass)
- I the tail fin of the glider (use low loss 50 Ohm RF cable for the antenna cable extension)
- Behind the pilot's head in the fuselage (not in gliders with carbon fuselage)"

The "Hall Of Shame" shows a portable unit mounted behind the pilot's head so I assume in this case the problem was that the antenna was very close and almost parallel to the wing pin handle?

I notice they also recommend 1ft. spacing between all the antennas with the brick.