Old April 19th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Piper Seneca

I fly a Seneca II on a regular basis. The II has 200HP Turbos, so it takes a
little getting used to the sensitivity of the throttle with the turbo. I
flight plan 30gph total, but it averages out to about 26gph or about 13
gallons per side per hour, with 110 gallon tanks, that's about 4hrs to dry
tanks.

Not all IIs are have deicing or are cleared for flight in known icing
conditions.

Double the cost of fuel, oil changes, engine maint. Not sure how your
insurance will stack up.

I flight plan at 165KTAS at 12,000ft, no O2 on board, so I don't plan on
higher. What can I say, it's a rental.

Still need to watch the W&B, 6 seats, but you can't always fill them up with
6 adults and take on full fuel. Except for the care and feeding of two
engines, it's is essentially a Cherokee 6 or Lance. But it sure is nice to
have those turbo's spin up to 40in MP for take off, and cruise at 12,000ft
pulling 30in of MP.

BT

"Frode Berg" wrote in message
hi all!

This might be a silly question, but I am dreaming of owning, or co-owning
a Piper Seneca.
Not this year or next, but maybe within the next 10 years.

I have been browsing the aircraft for sale sites, and found planes from
the 70's (Seneca II) selling for as low as $139K with about half time
remaining on the engines and props.

Anyone care to share the pro's and con's of the different models? (I-V)
Obviously, I will not be able to afford a V, so far, only the II's seem
accessible sort of.
Anything worth knowing about this model? Bad things?

Also, I understand maintenance will be about double of what I have now
(Arrow 180).
Any other traps to consider cost wise going for a twin?

Any other aircraft in the same price range that might be better choices?

I'm looking for a piston certified for Icing conditions.
I also want a twin, as I'll be flying over mountains and have nightmares
about engine out's in IMC and icing conditions over mountain terrain.....

Thanks for any hints,

Frode