Old July 19th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 6:12:30 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 4:44:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 12:13:33 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I am interested in the pros and cons of aluminum vs fiberglass top for Cobra trailers.

Tom

My experience, having owned both, is that the current production glass to Cobra trailers keep the glider cooler and drier than metal top trailers.
Neatly done repairs are much easier in glass. I am experienced in both.
When the finish deteriorates, my opinion is that it is easier to refinish the glass trailer. This involves surface sanding to get a clean, slightly roughened surface, followed by a couple light coats of spray filler to clean up surface defects, orbital sand with 220 grit, and then spray with acrylic urethane.
The metal trailer, if the paint is bad, requires stripping to bare metal, etch, conversion coat, epoxy prime, then paint with AU.
FWIW most of the damage to either is meaningfully reduced by simply getting them out of the weather. This also keeps the glider cooler which slows aging.
In my view the dominant consideration is how well the trailer protects the glider that costs somewhere between 8 and 20 times what the trailer does.
UH

I am 100% with UH on all points. Get a fiberglass top you will not regret.. An auto-body shop can paint a fiberglass trailer top for you for $2k, probably less than the insulation cost for an aluminum top.

The insulation costs about $1,200 at current exchange rates.

Tom