Old July 25th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On 07/25/2018 12:52 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 1:35:09 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
On 07/25/2018 10:27 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:

Steve Leonard
Yep, I have a bunch of Model 20s and 25s. And L-Navs and S-Navs, too.

And when you whine on RAS about OLC not taking your GPS-NAV files, it's
both sad and a source of amusement at the same time.

If someone tries to use them for badges/records, I suppose they'd have
to find someone who can still handle the calibration.

Glad I can provide amusement for you, kinsell. I may have a short memory, but I don't recall whining about it on RAS for a while. I am sure you can take the time to find exactly when it was. I think I have discovered the issue I was having, and now have it resolved. Without having to buy something newer that doesn't work as well as the system I currently have.

As far as calibration, I think any lab will tell you it is simple. Just like any other logger, for that matter.

Steve Leonard

Thanks to search engines, it was a July 2017 posting I was remembering:

Yeah, I know I should "buy a new logger". But, I fly old sailplanes.
:-) Anyone had success uploading a file from a Model 20 and getting a
valid score? I am 0 for 3. The first two, I wrote off to too few
satellites a couple of times during the flight. Didn't have that issue
today, but still a big red V.

I am using the same conversion program I used last year, and it says it
is making a valid file. It worked fine last year, but doesn't now.
Maybe they would like me better if I gave them money? And, please, no
"Use Skylines" comments.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve Leonard

Also came across the 2012 thread where OLC stopped accepting GPS-NAV
files for a while (not sure how long that lasted), and the 2014
discussion when the date problems started showing up. Since you can
record OLC-acceptable files now with a $10 app, it seems to me to be a
bit of false economy to stick with the old stuff. To each his own.

-Dave