Old July 16th 13, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Heavy hand again?

On Monday, July 15, 2013 6:22:26 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Yo Flub,

How many of these landouts have YOU actually done?

On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:06:47 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:

On Monday, July 15, 2013 6:42:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:

You may have a right to be silent in your own home or on the public streets, but if you get caught on someone else's property you better be able to explain what you are doing there or the cops are within their rights to run you in.

I see no reason to say anything other than "I don't have an engine, I had no choice but to land here." Hand them ID, registration and insurance contact info. If the officer feels that you have broken a law, it is even more imperative to say nothing (and you most certainly do have the right to remain silent.) Your goal is to avoid wrongful conviction. Wrongful arrest is not the end of the world.

Watch a few minutes of the video that I posted above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc and see how statements by innocent people get them wrongfully convicted. Do you think that you are smart/lucky enough to avoid saying something that could be misconstrued? Do you think you are smart enough to know when you can speak freely to an officer and when you cannot? It is a much safer bet in any encounter with law enforcement to say nothing and wait until you have professional legal counsel.

Wow, you all are scaring the living you-know-what out of me. After 34 years and over 50 land-outs I never had the police on the scene. What I did find was incredible friendliness of land-owners, farmers and passers-by and any kind of help I would wish for. Has been mentioned before but don't forget to thank the landowner for providing this perfect runway for you, you'd be in a world of trouble if he hadn't. Call 911 of police if you think you should but I will continue to rely on humanity and reason.
Herb