Old November 10th 03, 11:56 PM
Pete

"AL" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Here is a newbie question.

What are the merits and the pitfalls of rail vs ejector launchers
for guided missiles? I suppose bombs have to be ejector launched and
rockets rail.

Whenever I visit an airshow, I ended up scratching my head.

A general rule for missiles might be:
Ejector racks next/on the fuselage
Rails away from the fuselage. underwing and wingtip.

Ejector racks kick the missile out from the fuselage to get out of the
airflow, to clear other protuberances (other missiles, etc) and also to
limit the burn effects from the missile motor.

Consider if the F-4/Sparrow were on rails. The front missile can't launch
without burning the aft missile, and the aft missile can't launch because
the front missile is in the way.
(Not counting the fact that two of the fins are recessed into the fuselage,
and the missile body itself is in a slight recess)

Pete