Old March 23rd 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Peter Clark wrote:
He might have a not-so-secret agenda, but wanna tell the Meridian
owner who got a $100,000+ tax bill when he showed up at SimCom for a
week that it's all in this guy's head?

I've read the Florida state law in question and it is clear the alleged
Meridian and Cirrus owners in question have plenty of legal recourse.
The law clearly is on his side if the claims of the original story are
true. The following Aero-News Network (ANN) story appears to suggest to
me that ANN is specifically trying to damage SnF:

http://www.aero-news.net/SpecialCont...616eab2&cat=21

Does the above story sound objective to you? Is the author attacking
Florida or SnF? It reads to me like there is an axe being ground against
SnF.

Furthermore, I can't find a byline on any of the Aero-News Network
stories on this issue - it would be nice to contact the reporter and
request further evidence. If the people who were forced to pay the tax
were indeed innocent, I would fully expect them to want to share
their outrage. After all, at this late date the aircraft owners
allegedly have nothing more to lose if their claims and those of the ANN
reporter are legitimate.

Lastly, check out the following thread on another forum:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...d.php?p=278784

The post there by a Ken Ibold (allegedly a resident of Florida) suggests
the ANN story is a case of poor reporting at best.