Old July 19th 11, 10:23 PM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Believe it or not, a major American airline flew using what I would label as "blended" QFE procedures for departure, approach and landing until ~mid 90's. Three altimeters in the cockpit, the one's directly in front of the pilots would be reset to QFE below approx. 10,000 AGL, the center would be used to comply with ATC clearances in MSL.

The logic given for QFE use was to "standardize" the CAT I ILS Decision Height for EVERY airport flown into 200' AGL and to enhance altitude awareness above terrain.

Special altimeters were installed to allow the extra adjustment needed to fly into high altitude airports such as ABQ, DEN, JAC and the like.

The company transitioned over to QNH in the 90's to standardize with the industry and save $$$ on the altimetry costs and training.

As you can imagine, it made for some interesting instrument crosschecks inflight and puzzled looks when guests jumpseated in the cockpit.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane....

Rob

ps-teaching "ab initio"...QFE procedures...in today's airspace and traffic environment...does a disservice to the student and is potentially dangerous.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by RAS56 : July 19th 11 at 10:25 PM.