Old June 30th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Emergency Exit

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 3:33:11 PM UTC+1, Dan Marotta wrote:
To me the major advantages of a BRS over a personal parachute are the
speed and certainty of deployment.Â* Of course either system may fail or
malfunction, but with the BRS, you lose the difficulty of getting out
into space and deploying at in unfavorable position. Simply pull the
handle and enjoy the ride.

But, upon landing in a windy situation, you run the very real risk of
being killed in a tumbling, disintegrating wreck being dragged along the
ground.Â* Is there a jettison capability that could be armed by the
sudden deceleration of landing?Â* Perhaps an automatic jettison?Â* Might
that malfunction at 500' and give you a last thrilling ride?

On 6/29/2018 10:49 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Beacause floating around out of control under a parachute is safer?
BRS sounds good, but in practice I would prefer a personal chute every time.

--
Dan, 5J

For several glider types its a choice between an engine or a BRS chute (or neither!)