Old April 14th 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Lubricating Control system components

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 4:29:43 PM UTC-4, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
A big problem, especially with an older glider is getting to moving parts that you can't see, and certainly not reach with a needle and syringe. I've spent many trials making a PIK-20B's controls operate smoothly. Bearings deep inside the wings and tail were intended to be "permanently lubricated", but that permanence was intended for perhaps a decade, not four.

My current solution is to run a small plastic tube along a bendable but otherwise rigid long rod along with a cheap USB endoscope, both attached at the end of the rod. This allows seeing and reaching several meters into structures to drip lubricant on redirects, rollers, and belcranks far inside.

I use LPS-2, as it lasts for a year on most moving contacts. Flap hinges seem to dry out faster so they need a second application mid season.

With the exception of WD-40, used for it's original intended purpose, I try to avoid anything that come in a spray can. Spray stuff gets all over and collects dirt and makes repair work more complicated on composite ships. If the lubricant dries out, it's probably not the right stuff to use. Lubricating does 2 things- reduce friction and wear, and keep moisture out.
UH