Old October 28th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default SeeYou Mobile with SN10B data

JJ Sinclair wrote:
I use the 'options' page on my SN10, keep it set on the nearest
landable field (and next nearest landable). What it tells me is
exactly what I need to know, distance and altitude needed to get
there. No need to be looking at a sectional.

Stick with the SN10 if you are flying a familiar area. But, if you fly
like I do in *UNfamiliar* areas about half the time each year, the extra
information I get with a PDA and SeeYou Mobile is invaluable. I'm
picking out my course as I go (love the OLC!), so "situational
awareness" is my prime need.

When I ask the local PDA
drivers, simple questions like; how long you been on course or what's
your speed so far.................their stumpen dor an answer! Guess
what I should be asking is; What are you looking for in a PDA that
isn't already on your SN10?

I rarely fly tasks, so knowing instantly how long I've been on course
(course? I don't need no stinking course!) has no value (two button
clicks and I can read, however). I just fly in one direction until I
realize I might not make it back, then I turn around. And speed? I just
fly as fast as I can without getting into trouble. I don't need to know
what the speed is.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org