Old February 10th 04, 01:04 PM
Nathan Young

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 06:53:46 -0000, Prime
wrote:

We have a Cherokee 140. I want to know if anybody knows the simple
and cheap trick to clean our headliner. It is actually in fine
condition, but it has a LOT of brownish spotting on it, apparently
caused by moisture (you know, condensation, leakage, etc. - not
that OUR plane leaks!). It looks like crap. The headliner appears
to be a heavy fabric, almost seems like it is vinyl coated.

I tried washing it, spraying it with a variety of liquids (ammonia,
bleach and water, Formula 409). They helped to reduce the intensity
of the spots by about 30%, which is not nearly enough.

The brown spotting is probably the glue that was used to help hold the
headliner up. I cleaned mine with several cleaners, and couldn't get
the brown spots clean. I ended up pulling the seats, masking off the
interior of the plane, and painted it with Krylon. Looks brand new.
Use several light coats, and get a respirator.

-Nathan