Old October 13th 04, 12:32 AM
Dan Luke

I've done a few single-pilot IMC flights (mostly flying 50-100 miles
IMC to
get in the clear) shortly after earning my rating. While I don't have
any problem
with normal operations in the soup, it's the unknowns of potentential
task saturation
that I'm mostly concerned with.

Yep, I agree. I've done quite a few single-pilot approaches in actual
IMC, and the most important thing I've learned is that there is a fine
line between being ahead of the situation and being behind it. Staying
ahead starts way before arrival in the terminal area. If you're not
completely ready by the time you get that first vector to final or,
worse, when you arrive at the IAF of a full approach, you are in serious
jeopardy of getting irretrievably behind. Task saturation can result,
and I believe this is the cause of many fatal IFR accidents.

It's all about building confidence, and having someone to
hold the plane for a minute while you collect your
charts/plates/frequencies/weather
briefing/wits would be a nice safety-net to task saturation. I
believe most people
call them "auto-pilots," but my plane is not so equipped...

What are you going to do when you don't have that? Don't get me wrong,
I'm a firm believer that a good autopilot reduces the risk of
single-pilot IFR operations - I use mine extensively - but what if it
dies? Shouldn't you be able to hand fly the procedures to minimums
without help?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM