Old March 15th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

Default GA Callsigns

On 2008-03-15, Jay Honeck wrote:
I used to fly a Cessna Cutlass. When I checked in using that type,
controllers often came back with "November xxxxx" because they seldom
heard that type, I suppose...or they said "Douglas xxxxx" or "Cardinal
xxxxx" or some such.

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine tree" --
all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers. We just say
"Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get it.

I'm curious to see what the reactions to "Zodiac five five zulu charlie"
will be. There's not much I can replace it with.

What do I tell ATC when they ask what that is? (Aside from "my airplane", of
course.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)