Old May 22nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Question about TRSA - KPSP

wrote in message

Yes that is a good point. I guess we can call it TRSA SPAM since we
have to "OPT out." :) They way the controllers handle it is that if
you contact tower they switch you to approch unless you "OPT out."
Just the fact that you are contacting them they then assume you want
TRSA services. I guess if you look at it from a safety point of view
then the "OPT out" method might be in everyones best interest. But
ultimately it is your choice.

Departures have to "opt out" of TRSA services, but not arrivals.

FAA Order 7110.65 contains the note below under TRSA Departure Information.
It says nothing at all about TRSA arrivals.

NOTE-
Departing aircraft are assumed to want TRSA service unless the pilot states,
"negative TRSA service," or makes a similar comment. Pilots are expected to
inform the controller of intended destination and/or route of flight and
altitude.

When you're departing it's unknown if you want TRSA services, wanting them
has been deemed to be the default condition. Tower controllers are
instructed to assume departure aircraft want them unless the pilot declines.

But there's no similar mystery with arrival aircraft. If the arriving pilot
contacts the tower without first having called approach it should be assumed
he's not interested in TRSA services because he would have called approach
if he wanted them. If the pilot contacts approach it should be assumed he
wants TRSA services because he wouldn't be calling approach if he didn't
want them.