Old April 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Thomas Schoene

Mike P. wrote:
With the EF-111 Raven retired and the Navy/Marines EA-6B Prowler
filling the electronic attack role for all services - does anyone
know what is planned for the future in terms electronic attack
aircraft for USAF to fill the role once filled by the Raven?

It looks like the EA-6B will be replaced by an electronic attack
version of the super hornet (EA-18G Growler) - but will this be only
for the USN/USMC, or will it be a multi-service asset?

I posted some links on this not too long ago. A Google Groups search on
EB-52 or EF-22 might turn up the post.

One of the links mentioned that the Navy apparently wants out of the Air
Expeditionary Force job by 2012. In a sense that means they go back to
being Navy/Marine only assets (and perhaps Navy only, since the Mairnes
don't want any Super Hornet airframes if they can avoid it.)

Of course, in a joint air campaign, everything is a joint asset, and a Navy
EF-18 squadron could still be tasked to support Air Force strikers, but the
coordination won't be as good.

Does the USAF have anything in mind for a future electronic attack
aircraft?

Near term, it looks like the B-52 will get some EA capability. Long term is
still unsettled. Probably mostly UAVs would be my guess.
"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872