Old February 10th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Private pilot license

Thank you for clarifying and extending my comment. You can
check the requirements for a medical on the AOPA web site
and if you see a problem discuss it with the AOPA [member
only benefit] or a local doctor, not an FAA DME. The common
reasons for a problem are generally diseases of old age or a
history of drug/alcohol use. You do not have to be a
perfect specimen, you can even get a medical with one eye,
and no legs. Some things are more difficult and take time
and money.

"Morgans" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
|
| You will need a medical exam before you can solo, unless
you
| want to learn to fly gliders or get the new Sport Pilot
| certificate as a stepping stone or even final goal. You
can
| find which doctors in your area are FAA DME [designated
| medical examiners] by calling the nearest flight school
or
| looking on the Internet at the medical link on the FAA
site,
| or the AOPA.
|
| Be careful with this bit of advise.
|
| Be aware that you will need a medical, but also be SURE
you can PASS the
| medical, before you go to take it.
|
| If you fail, you will not have the option of going with a
sport pilot
| ticket, without spending lots of money, to try and pass
the medical at least
| one time. After that, you can use your driver's license
as your medical to
| fly on the sport pilot plan.
|
| The rule reads that once failing a 3rd class (or any
class) medical, you
| may not use a driver's license to fly SP. You have to get
the medical
| passed, then let it lapse and fly with sport pilot rules.
|
| Google sport pilot, or light sport pilot, and you will
have some reading for