Old September 7th 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Racing airspace "violation" question

On Sep 7, 11:28*am, "Larry Goddard" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

:

On Sep 7, 10:22*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
A question for you racing rules makers out the

Does the closed airspace rule (loss of all points plus 100 pt penalty)
apply if, following a task abort on course (with enough distance on
task to score for the day), a pilot then overflies class C airspace
(legally, and in contact with approach, etc), enroute to a safe
recovery back at the home base?

I really don't understand why US has to have a different set of
contest rules from the rest of the world. The FAI rules seem far more
sensible when it comes to handling airspace.

Andy

OTOH, I don't know why the FAI has to use a different set of contest
rules from the US... *But that's just me I guess...

Larry
"01" USA

The CD and scorer's interpretation of the rules was that if a
contestant had taken a legal start and flown on course, the whole
flight must be conducted under contest rules, even after you have
abandoned the task.

I agree with Kirk, flying legally above closed airspace should not be
penalized after the task is abandoned.

Mike