Old August 8th 03, 06:27 AM
Michael C Finke

Thanks, Jon, for the info. --Mike

Grandpa B. (never.mind) wrote:
: Mike:

: I apologize for the delay; I just got back from a mini-vacation. No flying,
: just driving, hiking and biking.

: The Type Certificate info can be found at:
: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...keModel.nsf/Ma
: inFrame?OpenFrameSet

: For regulations regarding the lighting requirements, go to:
: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...visoryCircular
: .nsf/1ab39b4ed563b08985256a35006d56af/94d4758b3f48035186256bf40064457d/$FILE
: /AC20-30B.pdf

: You may have to cut & paste the addresses, but this should get you close.

: To address the legal vs. advisable issue: You are correct, Ray, in that
: what's legal may not be a great idea. However... If I log 5 hours of night
: flying in the next 10 years, I'll be amazed. I have logged zero in the last
: 9 years. I also tend to fly in un-congested, low-use airspace in rural
: Minnesota, and will make forays into the wilds of South Dakota. I also tend
: to inhabit airspace close to the ground, as Champs are low, slow fliers. I
: appreciate your concern, but also feel it to be misplaced. I know more about
: my flying that you do.

: Jon B.

: "Michael C Finke" wrote in message
: ...
: Jon,
:
: Would you mind posting the precise directions to the material on the FAA
: website that answered this question for
: you? I'm in a 1950 Pacer, same story, and haven't been able to find the
: specific language that would make me
: legal.
:
: Thanks,
: Mike
:
: Grandpa B. (never.mind) wrote:
: : Dang it! I deleted all the old messages from the newsgroup, and can't
: post a
: : follow-up in the existing thread. Double-dang!
:
: : Anyway, here's the answer to my own question about whether my Champ
: project
: : needs to have anti-collision lighting installed.
:
: : Short answer: No.
:
: : Not-so-short answer: The official FAA Type certificate is currently
: owned by
: : American Champion Aircraft, of Rochester, Wisconsin (I knew that). The
: : certificate was issued according to Aircraft Specification A-759, which
: has
: : all the old and current Champ-derived airframe types. Mine rolled off
: the
: : Champion assembly line in April of 1958, which was after the requirement
: for
: : lights, BUT, the type certificate was issued on March 27, 1957! That's
: good
: : news, as the requirement for anti-collision lighting states that, prior
: : April 01, 1957, no anti-collision lighting is required. Under the wire
: by 3
: : (or 4) days, depending on how you count.
:
: : Now, does that mean it isn't a Good Idea to have strobes on an old
: aircraft?
: : Of course not! My night-time flying will be rare, though, and if I don't
: : gotta have 'em, I just might not install 'em.
:
: : By the way, I learned all this from the official FAA website, which has
: : everything you can possibly care about (and a lot you don't) on it.
:
: : Jon B.
:
: