Old August 10th 04, 04:11 PM
Bill Daniels

Pilots without the proper training, equipment and regulatory environment
shouldn't go there. However, there are many pilots on this forum who
possess all that.

Soaring within a one-tenth deck of towering cumulus is a blast. The clouds
make the thermals visible so finding lift on course becomes a near
certainty. IFR capability makes long downwind wave XC possible.

Avgas prices in the USA are already topping $4.50 a gallon and that's
thinning the number of airborne piston aircraft below 18,000 feet. It
wouldn't surprise me that getting a cruise clearance for IFR glider XC with
generous altitude and course deviations for "weather" might become pretty
easy to get.

Fifteen years ago I flew simulated glider instrument XC in powered aircraft.
(Just set the power for a 40:1 glide.) Once the controllers understood what
I needed, they were very helpful.

Bill Daniels

"R Barry" wrote in message
m...
Why even go there, Imc in a glider is not a place to be especally for
the untrained, how many gliders can you fit in the same CU at the same
time. Not a nice way to meet