Old July 14th 03, 04:29 AM
The Raven

"L'acrobat" wrote in message

"The Raven" wrote in message
"Dave Kearton" wrote in message

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...55E421,00.html

I wouldn't put too much faith in this report. If Australia wanted

nuclear
weapons it would be far easier and cost effective to get them from the

US
rather than develop their own weapons.

They may not want to sell them.

That is true but then they'd probably not want Australia to develop them
either.

A. Why would Australia want nuclear weapons?

I see you've not heard of Nth Korea and its threats of nuclear war against
all and sundry.

In that case, why not let everyone have them.............

B. Why would they want to develop them instead of obtaining some

existing
weapons from an ally?

In the past there have been occaisions where far less politically

sensitive
weapons have been unavailable from our allies.

Yes, but the justification for them is valid (with the allies) then there
really shouldn't be a reason why Australia couldn't purchase them.

C. How would Australia afford either?

If its considered neccessary, it can be afforded.

I'm asking for some general specifics on how it could be afforded. Perhaps
scrap everything in the pink book etc and spend it all on nuke capability.

D. Who would be the likely targets?

Deterrence.

E. What's the delivery platform? Missile or aircraft? If aircraft, which
one..........there is only one and it's not going to be around for much
longer?

If it's aircraft, it can be hung under almost any we may buy in the

future.

Assuming Australia can afford aircraft after funding the development of the
weapon........

F. What about upsetting the neighbours? It's going to pi** off some

already
fragile relationships.

What about it?

The Aust Govts job involves security for Aust, not kissing Indon arse

(thats
the Labor partys job).

Do I think the article is accurate? not really, but I can certainly see
where it is in Austs best interest to have an ability to aquire nukes

within
a few years if needed.

It can be envisaged that one day Australia may need or want a nuclear
capability but in the present environment it seems inappropriate.

I suspect a few people in high places were rather surprised lately to see
that the NNPT has been about as effective as the League of Nations at
assuring peace in our time.

The Raven