Old February 3rd 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

Default Why airplanes fly

Jacques: Hi Tony. What's new with you?

Tony: I've made myself the center of attention on an online discussion
group. I can post the most obvious, innocuous statement and it will draw
dozens of responses.

Jacques: That seems unlikely. People are much smarter than that. What is
the nature of this discussion group?

Tony: It's a discussion group for pilots. I think they are full of
themselves. I could post something like "aircraft fly because their wings
generate lift" and I am certain that because I was the one who posted it
that it would create at least 30 responses.

Jacques: Pilots have to be pretty smart to get where they are. I can't see
how that would generate any responses. Okay, I could see maybe two or three
but dozens seems entirely out of the question. You aren't that important.
Pilots are trained to exercise good judgement.

Tony: Ha! I'm willing to bet you 20 euro that if I post the sentence
"Fixed-wing aircraft fly because their wings generate lift as they move
forward through the air," I will get at least 30 responses.

Jacques: Nonsense! That would not be worthy of response. Tell you what - if
you get more than 5 responses, I'll pay out 1 euro for every response over
that count - but not over 25 euros. If you get 5 or less responses, you owe
me 25 euros. And no cheating! That seem fair?

Tony: You're on!