Old January 16th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_23_]

Default Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

On Jan 15, 3:12*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Kingfish writes:
Holy smokes! CNN is reporting an airliner went down in the Hudson
after departing LaGuardia. I heard something about birdstrikes, but
can't imagine a double engine failure due to that(?) They sure picked
a cold day to go swimming... Hope everybody is ok...

Bird strikes are a leading cause of engine failure. *Jet engines don't often
fail all on their own.

Well, according to http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...s/eng08036.xml

By the way, the study's authors noted that compressor stalls/surges
account for two-thirds of the engine malfunctions in today's
turbofans. This is a change from earlier generation turbine designs in
which uncontained failures were the principal malfunction. Since stall/
surge is the primary engine malfunction, one would assume that it
would be a regular item during initial, recurrent or simulator
training. And yet, I cannot recall ever reviewing the matter or being
exposed to a compressor stall/surge during a simulator session.