Old June 18th 11, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Handling differences between the 15m vs 16.6 ASW-20CL?

On Jun 17, 7:14*pm, Gary wrote:
On Jun 17, 8:13*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:07:09 -0700 (PDT), Gary
wrote:

This past week I purchased an ASW-20CL. Wondered if anyone has any
thoughts on the handling qualities of the 2 configurations. The 15m
version is equiped with Nixon winglets. The previous owner never flew
with the extended tips so could not offer opinion or advice.

Thanks, Gary Adams

Sell the 16.6m extensions - the 20 is too light with them.

If I remember correctly, the 15m version has a better L/D from 65 kts
upwards - you hardly fly slower. A climb rate advantage of *the 16.6
meters version is only noticeably in very, very weak thermals.

Andreas

Thanks, Andreas.....I'm starting to get that from everybody. Can't
find any advantage to using anything but the 15m winglets.
Gary GA2

Gary,

I had a Ventus b with 15 and 16.6 tips. I loved the 16.6's in the
spring and fall. Mine had winglets added on the 16.6 and they handled
as well as the 15m tips with winglets. I felt I had better glide up to
about 80 knots and very noticeable better ability to climb in light
conditions. With about a 9 pound wingloading it was one of my favorite
configurations to fly the Ventus.

Tim