Old August 15th 15, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default SSA responds to ANPRM

A few years ago an FAA study reviewing midair stated that more that half occurred
- on weekends
- in VMC
- at traffic-pattern altitude
- on weekends.
See and avoid does not work well because each pilot really can't see very much of the sky - sharp vision is about 1% of the sphere, most of the sky is eclipsed by glider, pax, & hat, & the aircraft on a collision course in stationary in our visual field.

The drone revolution is just beginning.

We do need electronic augmentation for the task. The FAA is taking on responsibility for the conversation, a good thing.

We have a legacy system in ADS-B, with dated technology, but abandoning this for Flarm-like technology is fraught.

I think comments to the FAA are best that propose feasible ways to augment collision avoidance where collisions are most likely & where they are most costly.