Old March 24th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

I have a clamshell trailer (Avionic) for a 15 meter standard class glider; it has hydraulic wheel brakes. All told, with tow-out gear (dolly, towbar, wing wheel, and a wing stand for rigging) it weighs a pound or two under 2,000 lbs. Tongue weight is about 150 lbs. I invested in a good European tow hitch - a Bosal - and am very happy with it.

I tow with a 2006 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1.9 l engine, 5 speed manual. 100 hp/177 ft-lbs torque. I get 43 usmpg normally, and 32 when towing at Eastern US interstate speeds (55-65 mph). Newer Jettas have more power but are more complex.

The trailer with all those incandescent lights drew more power than the Jetta electrical systems liked, but a powered adapter (drawn from the trunk 12v electrical outlet) fixed that - readily available. I specified non-LED lights since the bulb minder on the Jetta has a reputation on alerting on LEDs as blown bulbs.

Thread he https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/a3D1QE2qe8A