Old September 28th 03, 08:03 AM
John Keeney

"Bill Silvey" wrote in message

leaving some aircraft in the past, I don't think you could

qualitatively
argue the difference between say, a last-generation prop fighter like the
Mustang or Spitfire and first-generation jets. There was an obvious and
serious tactical advantage to jets. They were, no pun intended, taking

off.
Was a P-80 that much better than a P51? Perhaps, perhaps not. But it was
evident that the evolutionary track for jets was the way to go.

As is the tilt rotor: much like the jet, it is just inherently faster than
its predecessor. Unlike the jet, it's also more efficient at cruise for
better range.

I just don't see what possible purpose or advantage building the Osprey

has
over building (not refitting or rebuilding or re-engineering) new Helos

has.
The helo is proven technology, and it continues to get better.

Speed & range.

Let me ask you this, Kevin, and I'm not being sarcastic when I ask: would
you, knowing what we know about the Osprey and it's development issues,

take
a hop in one if the opportunity presented itself? Say, tomorrow?

I'm not Kevin, but I'ld take the ride.