Old November 11th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Hi Jack.

I wanted to add one more thing to your new arsenal of remedies that I
didn't see mentioned here. I too had this problem when I started. I
will never forget one of my first solo flights. My instructor was
watching from the ground as I entered pattern. By the time I turned
final, I was getting really nauseous and knew I was moments away from
woofing my cookies; cold sweats, dry mouth, etc.. I realized that
doing this on final could be very hazardous to my health, so I
clenched my stomach, focused madly on the touchdown spot, and somehow
willed myself not to throw up for the next 20 seconds. When I landed,
my instructor rushed over to congratulate me on a great landing. I
climbed out quickly and threw up on the tarmac right in front of him.
Not my proudest moment, but certainly memorable...

A fellow pilot suggested Peptid AC an hour before flight. It made no
sense to me but as there were no side affects, I gave it a try.
Happily it worked, and I haven't been sick since. Maybe one of the
doctors following this thread can comment, but my theory is that it
reduces the stomach acid which may be one of the factors that
contribute to the onset of air sickness. Stress was not mentioned as
a factor, and new pilots have lots of stress. Stress produces stomach
acid. That may be one of the reasons (certainly not the only one)
that air sickness is reduced as you get used to flying.

So as a rule, before I fly, I;
1) eat a bland lunch like a turkey sandwich, light on the mayo and
mustard.
2) take a Peptid AC about an hour before flight
3) keep hydrated!!!
4) keep air on the face during flight

Good luck!