Old May 16th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Drive Small VGA screen from PDA

On May 16, 2:00*pm, wrote:
On May 15, 8:13*pm, wrote:

On May 15, 8:02*pm, ContestID67 wrote:

Interesting idea which I had thought about for automotive use. *Of
course there is increased power draw but it would be a poor man's
ClearNav. *Does only the Dell's provide you VGA out? *How about
IPAQs. *Thanks.

A number of PDAs have VGA displays. I just happened to see the VGA
cable advertisement and realized the Dell did not need any other
components to drive a VGA display. I would think the other PDS could
also do this, although I am not sure. I have found a document for the
DELL pin outs, which would allow you to construct a cable with
interfaces to the VGA, GPS and a power source. Yes, sticking together
a bunch of off-the-shelf components does look like a poor-man
solution, but more like the Craggy Aero design approach. I understand
the ClearNav design focused on ergonomics and NK designed all new
hardware and software components to achieve this goal The price of
both systems is very close, however, and much higher then this poor-
man approach would cost - if it worked. It's hard to believe someone
has not experimented with this already.

Here is the Dell pin out map. Look at the bottom of the page.http://www..handhelds.org/moin/moin....ximX50Hardware

Actuall the Craggy Aero Design focused on performance and value to the
customer. *It has 1" larger on the diagonal screen, 3 to 4 times the
processor speed, 4 times more resolution 640X480 , State of the art
Software SeeYou Mobile or WinPilot and a very erogonomic hand held
ball track mouse. No messy boards on the back and $300 less than a
Clear Nav.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

hmmm ... ok, so looking at the mix of off the shelf components, how
come it is only 300 less ... shouldn't it be half the cost of a
ClearNav? Or is the difference reflective of a higher mark-up?