Old November 13th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

Default C-182's to avoid?

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

I was speaking with a somewhat smug fellow the other day who claimed older
C-182's (1968 that I'm looking at) had inefficient wings and that the
Continental would not make it to 1500 hours; 1300 if I'm lucky. (The one
I'm looking at has 61 SMOH; about 5000 total; new paint, interior, etc.).

First of all, the engine will go as long as it is operated and maintained
properly. Second, be aware that the first hours after overhaul are the most
likely to produce a mechanical failure. Thirdly, new paint and exterior are
nice, but often used to cover up other forms of neglect (NOTE: often, not
always), and are mostly window dressing.

As far as I can tell there has been only a minor (factory) wing
configuration mod on the 182.

Is there a line in time or models where 182's should be avoided?

No, a fairly new one can be a lemon if not cared for properly.

Better an older 182 or a newer 177 with 180 hp constant speed?

Better any 182 than a 177 (IMNSHO), but if possible (ie, $$$), I'd go with
one that's fuel injected, rather than carburated.
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.