Old June 22nd 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

Default Winch Launch Fatality

We don't know exactly what happened, but there are 3 main causes of
winching accidents.
A wing down on the ground run, causing the glider to cartwheel.
Too steep, too soon, resulting in a stalled wing and the start of a spin.
Both of these happen VERY fast.
Not achieving and maintaining a safe airspeed after a launch failure,
resulting in a stall or spin.
Here in the UK the BGA has been addressing winching accidents, and put out
good advice. It is worth looking at.
Dave

At 13:00 22 June 2009, Jonathon May wrote:
We are speculating which is wrong.It could be a very experienced P2
reacting inapropiately and P1 not able to take over in time.The more
experienced "bloggs" the clever the traps they create for the
instructor.I think it unlikely that they made a basic land ahead/pattern
mistake, ,more likely failed to take over in time because P2 was nearly
right.Lets not insult the guys they paid a terrible price in the name of

sport we all love.

At 12:20 22 June 2009, John Smith wrote:
Andreas Maurer wrote:

Completely wrong for a winch launch.
In case of a rope-break, you are either able to land straight-on on
the airfield, or you have sufficient altitude(300 ft+) to fly a
*safe* pattern.

Or, at some places, when you are too high for a straight landing but

too

low for a complete circuit, you do a safe 180 and make a safe downwind
landing.

The crucial point is a thorough departure briefing.