Old January 28th 04, 05:18 AM
Michelle P

Paul
I have flown children as young as three.
Several key items:
Take it easy in everything your do. An airline style smooth ride is your
best chance at success. Slow acceleration, slower climb out and decents
and the softest landing you can muster.
Explain everything before it happens!
Make sure there is a trusted adult on board. The child will definitely
take the lead from a trusted adult. If they are nervous then the child
will be nervous. If they are comfortable and having a good time then the
child will most likely enjoy the flight.

Take several test flights. Be prepared to make it a short flight. If the
child is not comfortable do not go or end the flight early. This
increases your chances of them going again. If you keep going and they
are not happy it could set a bad precedent for future flights.

Michelle

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

I have a friend who really wants me to take he & his two boys up- they
are 3 & 5. I am worried about them "freaking out"- especially the
little one. They have never flown before (commercially or otherwise).

Of course they need to be in back of the 172, which would make it
difficult for my friend to reassure them, etc.

I'm especially concerned about the younger one for the obvious reason
that 3 is pretty young. To the folks that have a lot of experience
taking up little kids- what are the rough odds that he'll be just fine
vs. having a cow? I need to decide if I should suggest that this
isn't a great idea or not. TIA.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity