Old May 28th 05, 02:36 PM
Gary Drescher

"Antoņio" wrote in message
oups.com...
1.Assuming I busted B; who is reponsible if the controller asks me to
follow an aircraft that is too far out on a straight in? I mean, I can
reduce speed, s-turn, and the like but I can't turn base until the
aircraft on final is a safe distance away, right?

I don't know how the FAA may have ruled on such situations in practice, but
the FARs seem ambiguous on the question. Of course, FAR 91.131a1 requires a
clearance before entering Class B. But FAR 91.123b requires compliance with
ATC instructions, except in an emergency. Clipping the edge of Class B
probably doesn't constitute an emergency. So the FARs seem contradictory in
a situation where obeying ATC requires you to bust Class B.

In such a situation, I would first make every effort to alert the tower that
I'm about to enter Class B. If the frequency is too congested to talk on the
radio, I'd hit Ident. If I still had no reply from the tower, I'd leave the
traffic pattern, stay clear of Class B, head outside the Class D (if not
outside already), and contact the tower as soon as possible.

I'd suggest that you submit an ASRS form, both for your legal protection,
and also to call attention to the problem.

--Gary