Old May 28th 05, 07:17 PM
Peter Duniho

"Antoņio" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
Unless one turns a fairly close in base here--within about a half mile
or less--you end up in class B surface.

IMHO, that's incorrect. It's true that if you are flying a very wide
downwind, you can clip the area of the Class B airspace that extends to the
surface. But provided you are flying the downwind where you're supposed
to -- over the Duwamish River -- you can fly straight out the valley as far
as you like without running into the Class B.

You do need to make sure you're at the proper pattern altitude (800') to
ensure you're not grazing the bottom (1100' at its lowest). But that's
usually not an issue.

1.Assuming I busted B; who is reponsible if the controller asks me to
follow an aircraft that is too far out on a straight in? I mean, I can
reduce speed, s-turn, and the like but I can't turn base until the
aircraft on final is a safe distance away, right?

Assuming you busted the Class B, you are responsible. The only thing that
the tower controller does is grant you use of the runway. They don't have
the authority to clear you into the Class B, and it's your responsibility to
say "unable" if you're given an instruction with which you can't comply (for
whatever reason, including regulatory).

2.Is the controller supposed to arrange things so that I *can* turn
base and not be in conflict with other aircraft?

The controllers is supposed to arrange things so that you don't wind up on
the same part of the runway at the same time as someone else. That's all.
They may try to assist with other issues, but ultimately those are all up to
you.

3.How would you resolve the problem if it were happening to you ?

Hard to say without knowing the specifics. The "problem" you describe
doesn't actually exist at Boeing Field, so the only way for me to answer is
to assume some other airport where the problem does exist. But airspace
designers try to avoid creating problems like this. So finding such an
airport on which to base my answer might be difficult, or impossible.

That said, let's assume that at Boeing Field, the Class B down to the
surface actually does extend all the way up to, but not including, the final
approach course (it must not go over the final approach course, since then
no straight-in approach would be allowed, except by aircraft who already
have clearance through the Class B). Let's further assume that you need to
turn base before 1/2 mile past the "abeam the numbers" point.

Then your only available option is to not fly more than 1/2 mile past where
you are abeam the numbers. This may require S-turns, to give the
straight-in traffic more time. This may require making a 360 degree turn.
You could possibly turn upwind and try again, hoping that no more
straight-in traffic will show up. There are a variety of ways to solve the
problem. But you would have to solve it...flying into the Class B airspace
without a clearance isn't an option.

Fortunately, this is all moot. It is entirely possible to extend one's
downwind at Boeing Field without flying into the Class B airspace, and so
the only thing you really need to do is make sure you are far enough east to
avoid the Class B (and far enough west to avoid conflict with straight-in
traffic). It's tighter than you usually find, but it's definitely doable.

For what it's worth, I have found that the easiest way to ensure you're in
the right spot is to fly directly over the Duwamish, and then aim for the
small hill just to the south of the runway. As long as your downwind takes
you just west of that hill, you'll stay clear of both the Class B and the
final approach course. Alternatively, stay over or east of Route 99, and
that will accomplish the same thing. I prefer the topographic landmarks,
because they are easier to see than picking out which roadway is which, but
99 ought to be pretty prominent too.

Pete